Our vision is for the Uplands Community to be a diverse, inclusive and welcoming environment for pupils, staff, parents and visitors.
The Governing Board of Uplands Primary School and Nursery adheres to the recommendations outlined in the Equality Act 2010. Uplands Primary School and Nursery will, through its Equality Duty and Equality Objectives, identify and record the progress we have made towards achieving equality and tackling discrimination, taking into consideration the views of those affected by inequality, including staff, parents/carers, governors and pupils. It will be undertaken in partnership with the school’s community and local authority.
The Equality Act 2010 provides a single, consolidated source of discrimination law, covering all the types of discrimination that are unlawful. A copy of the Equality Act 2010 can be viewed here, with guidance for schools found here.
The Public Sector Equality Duty has three aims under the general duty for schools, as referenced in the Equality Act 2010:
- Eliminate discrimination and other conduct that is prohibited by the Act.
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it.
- Foster good relations across all characteristics – between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it.
To ensure that Uplands meets the obligations under the Public Sector Equality Duty, we are required to comply with the following specific duties:
- To publish information to demonstrate how we are complying with the Public Sector Equality Duty
- Prepare and publish equality objectives.